Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Spill

Eliza was fussy yesterday, so we headed out the door for a walk. She wanted to be held, so no stroller. Eliza was in the front pack. Now, I always wear clogs, but every now and then my ankle will roll in them. We had made it to the next door neighbor's house and my ankle rolled and I couldn't regain my balance. I fell straight forward and landed on Eliza. It wasn't pretty. Her head hit the ground. I was freaked, she was freaked. She screamed, I was shaking. Talk about the GUILT! I was sure she would have a concussion or a bruised kidney or something. We came inside so I could check her over. Her poor little ear, head and shoulder were a little scraped, but considering not-so-small me fell on top of her...not too bad. We actually continued on our walk. When we got home I called my mom to tell her about our mishap. I was told to never wear clogs while carrying the baby...only flat shoes for me. A reason to go shopping? I am very sore today. My knees are all scraped up. Eliza seems fine thank goodness!

19 comments:

Samantha said...

Glad she is OK! Hmm might have to rethink my love of Danskos! These things do happen, don't be so hard on yourself.

C's Mom said...

Glad you are both okay and that you didn't sprain something to top it off while caring for Ms. Eliza.

I love my clogs too. I hardly ever wear anything else.

Special K said...

Oh my gosh! That must've been so scary. Glad to see you both are okay.

Liz and Ava said...

That must have been so scary...that happened to me at the cottage while carrying a friends 3month old...the grass was wet..I was in those crocs and down I went...but thank god I landed on my knees...the child didn't hit the ground...but was I freaked...no more crocs for me!
Glad to hear you are both OK.
Liz

Ani said...

Gosh - what a scare. Glad to hear you are both doing ok.
Now go buy some flats!

Anonymous said...

How scary for you guys, glad everything turned out OK in the end. I almost stepped on Amelia one day when we first brought her home. I was stepping over the babygate because I was too lazy to take it down and lost my balance and did the little jumping around thing trying to catch myself. She was right under my feet and I am sure if I would have fallen on her we would have had to go to the ER (I would have squished her for sure). I always took the gate down after that no matter what.

No more walks for you guys until you get some new shoes:)

P.S., don't be too hard on yourself, I made Amelia fall one time while dressing her and she went strait down on her face and came up with a bloody mouth...I felt horrible, but accidents happen.


Tracy
www.ameliarae.com

M3 said...

Yikes! How scary. Good thing you didn't have a heart attack in addition to scrapes. Ok, you don't get to wear your clogs anymore, and I don't get to wear those cute little brown wedge sandals that I was wearing when I sprained my ankle. Boooooo. :-(

Sarah's proud Mama said...

I had a spill with Sarah back when we first came home from China. She had left a toy on the stairs and I didn't see it. I was holding her and down we went. She smacked her head on the wall, I hurt my knee...we were a mess. All I wanted to do was cry, but I kept my cool and literally forced myself to be all happy for her so she could see I was okay and so was she. It happens to all of us at some point, it's just that only some of us are honest about it!
Glad you're both okay!
Robin

~ Alison said...

Oh no! Glad you're both ok. I felt the same way the day I shut Mali's fingers in the car door. (she was fine, btw)

Guilt. It's gotta be the worst emotion out there.

Happy shopping!!

Donna said...

Ouch! Glad both of you girls are fine.

dawn said...

Eliza, I did the same exact thing whilst wearing my Dansko's which by the way I live in. I tripped though and managed to somehow put Lily down in front of me. Hubby saw it happen and I swear the man nearly died! Lily was fine. It does happen but I bet it will never happen to you again! I agree though.....the guilt....OY! I still hate coming down the stairs and she is nearly 5.

Julie and Steve said...

Glad you both are OK (if sore)! I love my Danskos, but I trip in them all the time too - so maybe I need to retire them before I go to China...thanks for the pointer!

P.S. - when I was one yr old, my mom was riding her bicycle with me in a little infant carrier in the back and accidentally drove off the road into a ditch. My mom was horrified - and I guess I screamed bloody murder - but I don't remember it now!!! Neither will Eliza. Accidents happen! :)

Jamie and Family said...

I actually fell on Jordyn while carrying her on cement when she was not quite 2. It's a horrifying experience! So glad you guys were ok!!!

Jamie

Anonymous said...

We were meeting Peter's birthfather for the first time (and only time so far) and the meeting went very well, we really liked him, told him how much we appreciate the sacrifice he made and how much we love Peter, etc and as we were leaving, Peter was pushing on his own stroller (he was just 13 months old at the time) and he pushed too hard and slammed his head on the brick walkway - right in front of his birthfather! "Why yes, we're taking good care of him. Yes, all babies cry like that. He will be fine. Aren't you late for work now? It was so nice meeting you...." Sheesh! What timing children have!

My friend actually broke her baby niece's leg when they were both going down a slide. Talk about feeling bad!

Teresa

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your "spill" When Jacob, ds, was 1 year old, I had him on my hip and went to shut the car door and his toe(big)got caught in the door and required stitches. I understand the word "guilt" Glad you are both okay!
Mendy

Sherry Mc said...

Between the poop incident and the fall I think you are close to finishing your initiation into momdom. Babies are tough, they survive inspite of us. I can tell you tho, 35 years from now you will remember that feeling in the pit of your stomach as you fell. Sherry McCormick (Jennys/Abby's mom)

Anonymous said...

Tiffany are you ok? I hope Eliza is ok...babies are way more resilient than we are though,
way to go for an O&M specialist!

Nate

Tamara said...

Oh that's scary! I've almost fell holding Miya in tennis shoes, so unfortunately, nothing is fool proof- glad you girls are ok.

Christi and Abbey said...

Glad you are okay! I love clogs too.
I tripped and fell holding Abbey coming out of the deli outside the White Swan. It's seemed to happen in slow motion. I was embarassed but we weren't hurt. Yeah, I was wearing cute slip on wedgies with sequins. I think everyone was wondering why I was wearing those while carrying around a baby.